Hospital of Horrors, Part II

  • Post author:
  • Post category:My Life

I remember forcing myself to play candy crush so I wouldn’t fall asleep. Playing games continued for many nights to come. The next day, a group of neurosurgeons came by.  They poked and prodded me. I wasn’t sure what was really happening until one of them eventually told me that I had a spinal cord injury. I had sort of guessed that on the scene of accident, so it wasn’t a surprise. It was really devastating to hear. They said that I needed to get an expensive MRI scan. My family and friends had to try to get the funds together to pay for it. On the third day in hospital, I felt like I was slipping between the dead and the living. I couldn’t even open my eyes. I was dying.  The scariest thing is knowing that it’s probably over for you. I had a dream that I was in some strange place.  There was a group of men wearing white robes sitting around a bonfire talking and laughing. Suddenly, one of them turned and asked me to join them.  At that moment, I said “No, that wasn’t the plan God had for me” and immediately opened my eyes.

For days, I lay in my room waiting for my family to raise the money for the MRI which was $1,200. The doctors could not diagnose me until after the MRI. From out of nowhere, my ex-boyfriend called and told me that he had paid for and booked the MRI. I couldn’t believe it. I called my family and told them the news. The next day it was done. I was then informed that I had an incomplete injury at level T4-5 and that my spinal cord as compressed by a bone vertebrae. As a result, I needed to undergo decompression surgery immediately.  

Once again, I couldn’t afford the procedure which cost approximately $3,500. I contacted my ex about my diagnosis. I told him and what was required.  Again, he said he was going to come and pay for the surgery. I will never forget his gesture and I hold him dearly. He will always have a special place in my heart. He saved my life, and he is my hero. He might not know it, but he is. I will forever be grateful to him. My boss Miss Ammara Brown and my band also contributed some money. I’m so thankful for their kindness.